Silver Dollar City is a wonderfully themed adventure park in the Missouri Ozarks (Branson, MO) featuring roller coasters, authentic food, and live music. As regular season pass holders, we have a few tips to help you save money at Silver Dollar City. Because we usually become season pass holders at least every other year, and it’s our nearest theme park, we’re self-proclaimed experts!
Silver Dollar City is well-known for it’s unique old-time country theme, specifically related to the Ozarks, which is portrayed well throughout every aspect of the park. All the rides and attractions have themed names, such as Tom Sawyer’s Landing, Outlaw Run, Wildfire, Powder Keg, Fire in the Hole, Flooded Mine, and much more! All the staff wear themed dress and even the architecture (although meticulously maintained) purposely creates and old country environment. It’s truly a fun gem and something much different than you’ll find elsewhere–a MUST SEE when you visit southwest Missouri or Branson, Missouri. If rides aren’t your thing, they also offer many festivals, live shows, live music, and a wonderful Christmas season.
Silver Dollar City is amazing, but it’s known by locals as “Steal-your-Dollar-City” because it can be a financial black hole if you’re not careful. You can still enjoy the fun and stay frugal though!
Ways to Save Money at Silver Dollar City:
- Buy Season Passes. Don’t buy a Season Pass for everyone in your family though–only half! Silver Dollar City provides several free Guest Passes with every Season Pass, which are good approximately 5 times during the year. This means you can use your Guest Passes for the other half of your family (guest must attend with you)! For example: A family of 4 buys 2 Season Passes and uses their Guest Passes to admit the other 2 family members. Voila! You likely won’t want to visit more than 4-5 times per year anyway, so with some pre-planning on dates to plan to attend, this is a great money saver tip!You also receive several discounts to other local attractions such as the Showboat Branson Belle, Dixie Stampede, White Water, and Ride the Ducks with your Silver Dollar City Season Passes. Season Passholders also receive a 10% discount on most food items in the park (double check before you buy).
- Present your Season Pass for Food Discounts in the Park. Only 1 Season Pass needs to be presented for the entire party (you and up to 6 guests) to receive the 10% discounts on meals over $4 within the park! You also receive 20% off breakfast at Molly’s Mill within the park through October.
- Visit after 3pm. If you don’t have a Season Pass and will be in Branson for a couple days, visit Silver Dollar City after 3pm and receive free park admission for the following day!
- Don’t pay for parking. Most parking at Silver Dollar City is free! There is a “closer” lot that you can pay for, but it’s not worth it. Skip this cost and park free a bit farther away, but ride the free tram right up to the park gate! The trams circle the parking lots frequently and often arrive at the gate before the people who pay to park and walk to the gate.
- Bring your Own Food & Water. Load up your stroller or backpack with bottled water and snacks to avoid extra food costs at the park! You are allowed to bring these items in with you.
- Know the Food. Spend a half hour before your visit and familiarize yourself with the food options at the park and their prices. Decide beforehand what you want to purchase and you’ll be less tempted to make extra purchases in the park. We suggest budgeting for some saltwater taffy, skillet potato mash, and fresh baked bread or cinnamon roll at the bakery.
- Take advantage of the Free Samples. The Pork Rinds stand usually has free samples available, as does the Brown’s Candy Factory (where you can watch them make candy and brittles). Get a taste and avoid spending extra cash.
- Take your own photos. They lurk at almost every attraction in Branson, including Silver Dollar City. It’s the Photographers-that-chase-you-to-take-your-photo-in-front-of-the-sign! These folks are usually friendly, but they’ll take your photos and you’ll have to purchase them later. Skip this and take your own pictures. They will move on if you politely tell them, No Thanks. Don’t be pressured if they insist–that’s their job!
- Avoid Purchases on your way out. Silver Dollar City has strategically placed a large gift shop at the park exit and all park goers must walk through on their way out of the park. Brilliant! Don’t fall for this. There are some cute items, but try to avoid this obvious tactic to tempt spending. If you must, stick to something small, like a shot glass or magnet.
Have a great time visiting this Ozarks treasure! It really is a fun, unique, and exciting experience in Branson!